Sometimes I procrastinate writing an article or essay. I don't know where to start, and so I might do dishes or wash the baseboards instead. Then comes the time when I have to actually sit down and do the work. And I've found that I have a system! Here's how I write:
2. Get down the basic bones of what I want to write about. I think it's time to read Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones again!
3. Do some research. I like to look for what's already been done so I'm not copying others or doing what's been beaten to death.
4. Let the piece ruminate for a while.
5. Go back and type Who, What, When, Where, Why, How and then move pieces of text under each heading so I make sure every question is answered.
6. Give it some heart. Get rid of my Who, etc. headings and make it more interesting and give it some anecdotes and hopefully a little humor so it's not like a robot-written piece.
What's your system?