So I've been trolling some blogs and want to give some tips. These are some recent changes I've made on a few of my own blogs that seem to have made a difference:
- Head to LinkWithin and sign up. This is how I get those boxes below each post that suggest other pages readers might want to view. This is a great way to get people to explore your blog and other posts they might like. More page views = more ad money sometimes.
- When you're ready, apply at BlogHer to get some ads, which don't pay by clicks, but by page views.
- Have tabs along the top of your blog. If you can't figure out how to do this, just ask me and I'll post the html code I use for Blogger in a special blog post for everyone.
- Go to AddThis and sign up. I have seen my posts tweeted and shared a ton since I did this and put it at the top of my blogs. Also, it makes it easy for YOU to quickly tweet any post from the past you might want to direct readers to again. AddThis sends you a weekly update on your viral lift and shows how just one share can lead to so many clicks.
- Make sure you have a Twitter account, and link it everywhere! To gain followers, FOLLOW!
- Have a Facebook page dedicated to your site, be it a blog or a business or whatever. Sign up for Networked Blogs.
- I was sending out my entire blog posts to email subscribers but have changed that so now they get a few lines only. I am a bloggy tease, it is true, but I get more traffic because my email subs now have to come to the blog to see the post ... and are more likely to comment and stick around a while.
- Oh, and I like to put the popular posts down the side, as well. I like to personally see what people are checking out so I can give them more of the same.
- Get a Google+ account. When I make updates to posts I have the option of sending the post out to all my Google+ people, which are often different from my other social media contacts.
- Make sure you are on LinkedIn. Connect accounts so your Twitter posts post on your LinkedIn wall, etc.
- If you are a writer, make sure your site is showing up in your byline on any articles you write.
- Sign up at Feedburner. I did this a long time ago, but didn't have it set up correctly and was missing out on tons of traffic somehow (don't ask me how it works, just that you can get a widget to see how many people are checking out your site using a feed). Make sure you check out the "Optimize" and "Publicize" tabs and activate all you can!
- Grab yourself a Facebook Like button for your site so people can Like from afar. You can do that here.
- Don't try to be someone you are not. Be yourself, and that may take you a little time to put into practice. It took me almost FOUR YEARS to start seeing decent traffic.
- Hit some blog hops, and make sure you are also checking out other blogs. You can't just sit back and wait for everyone to come to you but never visit another person!
- Get a Hootsuite account (free version) and schedule some love for your posts so they are not rotting. You know you have some great content that is old and needs some new social media life. And maybe a new graphic as well?
- Get something like CommentLuv so comments link back to a person's email and website. It's also cool to be able to reply to a specific comment instead of across-the-board like you currently have to do on Facebook.
- Hop on Quora.com and start answering questions people have ... answer in part and then send them to a blog post you have written on the topic :)
More to come as I figure this out the hard way!!!!! Please sign up for an email subscription so you'll be one of the first to know when my books come out on ways to make money from home!